Faith & Philosophy
Cornerstone Academy Mission
* To assist parents in providing an excellent classical education and in building godly character founded on a biblical worldview resulting in passionate disciples of Jesus Christ.
Cornerstone Academy Vision
* To further impact this community and the world with young Christian leaders who think clearly and listen carefully with discernment and understanding; who reason and articulate precisely; who are capable of evaluating their range of experience in the light of the Scriptures; and who do so with eagerness in joyful submission to God.
Statement of Faith
The statement of faith adopted by the Cornerstone Academy Association is limited to primary Christian doctrine, which is considered to be central to all Christian denominations, and which sets Protestant Christianity apart from other faiths. The following statement of faith is taken directly from the Cornerstone Academy Association By-laws:
- We believe the Bible alone to be the word of God, the ultimate and infallible authority for faith and practice.
- We believe that there is one God, eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. He is omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent.
- We believe in the deity of our Lord Jesus Christ, in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood, in His bodily resurrection, in His ascension to the right hand of the Father, and in His personal return in power and glory.
- We believe that, for the salvation of lost and sinful men, regeneration by the Holy Spirit is absolutely necessary.
- We believe that salvation is by grace alone through faith.
- We believe that faith without works is dead.
- We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit, by whose indwelling the Christian is enabled to live a godly life.
- We believe in the resurrection of both the saved and the lost; they that are saved to the resurrection of life and they that are lost to the resurrection of damnation.
- We believe in the spiritual unity of all believers in our Lord Jesus Christ.
Educational Philosophy and Purpose
Cornerstone Academy is a private education ministry operated by Cornerstone Academy and Ministries, Inc. and is managed by the Board of Directors and the appointed administration.
Cornerstone Academy was established in 2000 as a private, Christian school committed to providing a classical and biblically-based education to young people in grammar and secondary grade levels. Education at Cornerstone Academy is intended to be inherently different in philosophy and content than that offered in the public schools. Cornerstone Academy strives to operate as a servant to the family under the assumption that the education of young people is the responsibility of parents and the immediate family rather than the responsibility of the state. Cornerstone Academy provides a biblically-based curriculum and teaches all subjects as parts of an integrated whole with the Scriptures at the center.
Although most Christian schools would agree on certain fundamentals, it is imperative that parents scrutinize the foundational beliefs of any school in which they may enroll their child/ren. Therefore, below are the most important philosophical elements that we at Cornerstone Academy believe distinguish our approach to education.
- We believe that the Bible clearly instructs parents, not the Church or State, to “bring children up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord.” The Church’s commission is essentially to spread the Gospel and train believers (Matthew 28:18-20). The State has been directed to enforce God’s laws and protect the innocent (Romans 13). The Church trains parents and the State protects families. The Family raises and educates children (Ephesians 6:1-4). Therefore, we seek to teach and discipline in a manner consistent with the Bible and a godly home environment.
- We believe that God’s character is revealed not only in His Word, but also in every facet of the creation. Therefore, we teach that all knowledge is interrelated and can instruct us about God Himself.
- God wants us to love Him with our minds, as well as with our hearts, souls, and strength (Matthew 22:37 ). Therefore we seek to individually challenge children at all levels and teach them how to learn, by using the centuries-old, proven classical method, incorporating instruction in Latin and logic.
- We want to help parents teach their children that all they do should be done “heartily, as unto the Lord.” Therefore, we seek to encourage quality academic work and maintain high standards of conduct. This includes biblical principles of discipline.
- We have a full range of grades because we believe that as long as a child is under his/her parents’ authority and undergoing formal education, he should be trained biblically (Deuteronomy 6:6,7; Proverbs 22:6).
Above all, parents can be confident that their student, at every stage of his/her development in school, will be loved with Christ’s love at Cornerstone Academy.
Objectives & Standards
In the classroom as well as through extracurricular activities and examples set by faculty and staff, Cornerstone Academy strives to:
- Teach all subjects in the curriculum as parts of an integrated whole with the Scripture at the center (II Timothy 3:16-17).
- Provide a clear model of biblical Christian life through the school staff and board (Matthew 22:37-40).
- Encourage every student to begin to develop a personal relationship with God the Father through Jesus Christ (Matthew 28:18-20).
- Emphasize grammar, logic, and rhetoric as applicable in all subjects. (Grammar is to be understood as the fundamental rules and data of each subject. Logic is to be understood as the ordered relationship of particulars in each subject. Rhetoric is to be understood as the means by which the grammar and logic of each subject may be expressed clearly.)
- Encourage every student to develop a love for learning and to achieve maximum academic potential.
- Provide an orderly and secure atmosphere conducive to maintaining these standards.
- Constitution and Bylaws